If this holiday season, you wish to relax in the lap of the nature and want to enjoy in the wilderness, then camping in India sounds as the best idea. With its scenic environs and serene atmosphere, the country provides several hideouts from the chaotic city life. The thrilling and beautiful terrains of the Himalayas and Western Ghats present a perfect set-up for this activity. Not only mountainous regions, but the deserts and wildlife parks of India also offer an unforgettable experience. The breathtaking treks at places like Uttarakhand, Himachal, Maharashtra, West Bengal and Kerala are sure to attract you if you wish to explore the nature.
Camping Destinations in India
- Himachal Pradesh: With unique topographic diversity, from snow-capped mountains to the dense green forests, Himachal Pradesh gives nature lovers a wonderful experience of reconnecting with nature. The terrains of the Himalayas provides for oodles of activities like ice skating in Shimla, trekking in Chail, rappelling and mountain biking in Manali, and hiking in Kasauli.
- Uttarakhand: For those who seek to spend quality time in the lap of nature, Uttarakhand, with its vivid topography, offers a fantastic range of sites. At an elevation of about 3600 feet from the sea level, Tons Valley in Uttarakhand is an excellent site for this activity. You can also enjoy splash swimming in Dehradun, jungle walks in Mussoorie and a variety of trekking expeditions in various destinations situated here.
- Maharashtra: Whether it is camping in wilderness or in luxury tents, Maharashtra provides with one of the best experiences with its exhilarating treks. With its long stretches of coastline and series of hill stations, Maharashtra is a perfect place to enjoy proximity with nature. Kundalika River in Kolad, and Lonavala and Karnala Bird Sanctuary are some of the best sites in Maharashtra for the activity. A lot of adventure activities like kayaking, hiking, rafting and nature excursions can be enjoyed in Maharashtra.
- Kerala: Known for its pristine beauty and backwaters, Kerala offers a unique opportunity of camping. Camping in the sheer wilderness of its wildlife sanctuaries and national parks will give you a wonderful chance of sighting wild animals from proximity. You can also enjoy jeep safaris conducted at these wildlife establishments. Cruising on the backwaters of the state offers a wonderful visual treat.
- West Bengal: Explore the wild beauty of Sunderbans while camping in the state of West Bengal. With its rich treasure of wildlife, Sunderbans offer a good opportunity to wildlife lovers for unravelling the wilderness of the region. To enjoy the sheer thrill of the adventure sports, Darjeeling is another fine option to go with. Apart from being known for the scenic beauty, this hill resort is also a hub of adventure activities like paragliding, white water rafting and trekking.
- Karnataka: With its incredible landscape of scenic mountains, thick forests and gushing waterfalls, Karnataka sets a perfect backdrop for this activity. It offers a wide array of activities for adventure enthusiasts. With its innumerable trails for trekking and safari in Bannerghatta National Park, rock climbing at Ramnagara, and mountain biking in Dandeli Forest, the place is a paradise for thrilling activities. You can also enjoy go-karting in Bangalore – the hotspot for this relatively new activity.
Rajasthan: Set against a backdrop of the golden sand dunes of the Thar Desert, Rajasthan gives you a different set of camping experience. The desert land of Rajasthan provides nice opportunities of enjoying the camp at Jaisalmer, Pushkar and Ranthambore. Jaisalmer is recognised for sand dune watching and camel rides. The small town of Pushkar is also a favourite site for this activity. For wildlife enthusiasts, going for a camp in Ranthambore offers a nice opportunity of sighting the wildlife.